World Affairs Council of Connecticut – Your Connection to the World
The World Affairs Council of Connecticut (CTWAC) engages the Greater Hartford community in global issues and promotes greater understanding of the world. CTWAC is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization. Established in 1924, it is a member of the World Affairs Councils of America, a network of nearly 100 councils that together comprise the largest global affairs nonprofit organization in the U.S.
What We Do
Global Programs- International political, economic, cultural, business, and financial trends
- Our programs give you unparalleled access to some if the world’s most distinguished speakers: Recent speakers hosted at CTWAC have included Henry Kissinger, Ambassador Ryan Crocker, Ted Turner, Red Sox President & CEO Larry Lucchino, General David Petraeus, and former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi.
- The Council hosts a variety of programs that help the community navigate the global landscape including: Global Discussions Series , Executive Forums, business luncheons, roundtables, Global Trivia and Hot Issue Happy Hours that address the world’s most critical issues.
- Luminary Award: Our signature annual event honors individuals and organizations that have influenced global affairs.
- Our keystone school program, started in 1952, reaches over 700 CT high school students per year. This interactive program calls on students to represent member U.N. countries and lets them experience the inner workings of international policy-making. A highlight is the annual trip to the U.N.
- The Council provides teacher trips abroad, workshops for students, and global curriculum development.
Why World Affairs?
Understanding global affairs is essential to navigating today’s complex world. Global issues are local issues and the world is more connected than ever before. Whether it is unrest impacting gas prices, foreign trade regulations, global health outbreaks, terrorism or cybercrime, what happens around the world affects us all. The World Affairs Council of CT is the only institution in the greater Hartford area dedicated to this mission.
Our primary sources of funding are sponsorships (64%), memberships (12%), grants (14%), and donations (10%). Support from our community ensures we can continue to provide opportunities to engage in global learning. The Council’s modest annual budget, $350,000, is an example of our efficiency and resourcefulness.
Become A Sponsor: Your support enables us to serve our community as a hub for all things global, connecting CT residents, organizations, and businesses with their counterparts across the globe. Sponsorship benefits include recognition and a hyperlink on our website as a sponsor, recognition at programs sponsored, and membership with the Council.
Become A Member: Join the World Affairs Council for an all-access pass to programs that bring the world to you! Benefits include programs that expand your knowledge of the world, opportunities to network with others interested in global affairs, member-only events and an opportunity to attend the Annual World Affairs Councils of America National Conference, which features the leading foreign policy voices of the day, member prices for Council programs and events, and access to travel opportunities and discounts on publications.